Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Don't be afraid to schedule important notes, emails and cards

Have you ever realized too late that you forgot to wish a good friend a happy birthday or anniversary?  Or, missed sending a note to someone to remind them of something they needed to know.

Schedule them. 

Usually on Wednesdays, I go through my personal and business calendars for the following week.  I check them to see what birthdays, anniversaries and important events/meetings are coming up during the next week.  Then, as needed, I go ahead and create an email wishing the person a good day. I then use the scheduling/delay delivery feature of my email program to set the date and time to schedule the email.  

I use this same process to remind people of things they need to know. I have even used this to schedule an email to myself, to ensure if it is something very important - that an email reminder hits my inbox.

If it is an event that I should send a snail mail, I go ahead and get the card together.  I put the date it needs to go to the mailbox where the stamp will go.  Then, I set them where I will check them each day.  On the day it needs to go to the mailbox, I put a stamp over the date and mail it out.

I know that some people feel like this is "cheating" and that I should care enough about each person to send the notes on the actual day of the special event.  

To them, I say - hogwash.  

I care about my friends and family enough to take extra care to ensure I don't miss their special day.  Just because I might do this a few days prior, doesn't mean I care less.  If the email shows up on the right day, what difference does it make when I created it?   The smile it brings to recipient's face is all I care about.

So, plan ahead and make great use of scheduling features.  It saves you having to send out a "belated" note.


1 comment:

  1. Or if you're lucky, you have a trusted friend who will send you a note to remind you of upcoming important events.

    ReplyDelete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...