Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about our travels.

I come from a family of travelers, and they have been teaching me tips and tricks for years.  

Some of the things I have learned it to:
  • Decorate my checked luggage so it can be easily identified on the airport carousel.
    • Decorate the back, as many times they dump them on the carousel back-side up.
  • Print a copy of your passport/important papers and put them in a different bag than your actual documents.  That will help if you lose anything.
  • Pack an extra garment in your carry-on in case your trip is delayed, and your luggage is not.
Then, my friend and I got to discussing a trick I really appreciate ... divide the packing between both checked bags, when possible.  She had never thought of this and was tickled to learn of the concept.

Basically - when traveling in pairs - I have been taught to:
  • Lay everything out on the bed that needs to go into luggage
  • Remove all the items that go into the carry-ons
  • Split each person's items into two piles
    • Try and ensure that each bag gets undergarments, pants/shorts, chargers, umbrellas, shoes, etc.  
    • We try and split liquids, medications, and anything else that can easily be split.  
  • We also try and split items in our carry-ons, just in case.  Things like money, lotions, snacks, etc.  
On the way back home - we do this for souvenirs and important things.  

We do our best to try and ensure that if the worst happens, it will not be a total loss.

If you enjoyed this blog, please check out:

3 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful, insightful tips that a lot of people will benefit from. Great post, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing! Please share more travel tips that I can use for packing up my daughter for an extended overseas trip! This is her first time traveling overseas and traveling alone! (Mom is a bit nervous!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good tips. Here are 2 more.
    Packing Tip: Print a copy of your itinerary (the places you are going and where you will be staying) and add your home address. Put this in each piece of luggage so if your luggage gets lost, the finder can "find" you and hopefully reunite you. Never pack passport, photo IDs or money. Keep that with you.

    ReplyDelete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...