Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Lessons Learned - 2020


What would the end of the year be, without a recap.  I am sure you are like me - you both love and dread these recaps. They shows us all the things we enjoyed and wish we could repeat.  They also shows us what was bad and what we would love to forget.

This year certainly has been a struggle. It is hard to reflect on this year and not feel bitter and angry.  This really has been a hard year. Yet, I think there are many things to appreciate about 2020. 

Here are the things I learned in 2020 (in no particular order).

  • Friends and family are essential. 
    • Getting to touch base with my family and friends took on a special meaning this year. I have always tried to appreciate my friends and family, but this year, I realized just how truly important they are to me. I am grateful for any time I get to spend with them, any note I receive from them, or any time I get to talk to them. Not seeing them all regularly made our get-togethers even better.
  • Being outside is awesome.
    • I have always needed fresh air and sunshine. This year, I realized that the more I got of both, the better I felt. I learned to embrace long walks in the park. I loved my time on the patio with John. Just taking a drive with the top down made me smile.
  • People are clever.
    • I was never a big YouTube watcher, but this year, I loved watching the clever skits and songs people created to help make us smile. Cat videos, squirrel obstacle courses, mashups, and the Holderness Family kept my mood positive. There were also so many fantastic websites showing pictures, memes, and sharing knowledge.
  • I am okay.
    • Normally, I kept so busy that I never really had to spend much time with myself. This year, I have learned to spend a lot of time with myself. I am no substitute for dinner with a good friend or close family member... but I am decent company.  I can sit alone and not go crazy. I can be reflective and stay positive. I can complete puzzles and get joy from the accomplishment. I can read on the porch or just watch the birds at the feeders.  I can find joy in the peacefulness.
  • A good job and co-workers should be celebrated.
    • I am always grateful when I am lucky enough to have a good job and kind co-workers, but this year has really sharpened my thankfulness. Early in the pandemic, I feared for my job. My co-workers and supervisors gave me peace of mind and showed me that they appreciated me.  They found a way to keep me on staff. It meant so much to me. I appreciate having something to do to fill my days.  And, the support I receive from all of my teammates helps make the days brighter.
  • My cats fill me with joy.
    • It is almost like our cats know we were struggling this year. They seem more playful. They seem more willing to sit on my lap and just enjoy the quiet with me. They serve as good co-workers and spend their days sleeping in my office. 
Don't get me wrong, this year has been tough, but I have been exceptionally lucky. I am blessed in so many ways. The lessons I learned from 2020 will hopefully stay with me for the rest of my life.  

As this year comes to an end, please take time to find the positive lessons you learned and carry them forward.  


3 comments:

  1. Well said...always count your blessings. They are usually more numerous than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love your blogs, Sue! Thank you for reminding everyone that the positive is what we need to look at and not just the negative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Appreciate your comment and the time you take to read my blogs.

      Delete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...