Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Treat yourself as you would your best friend.

How many of us berate ourselves or treat ourselves with judgement and self-disappointment?  Yet, I venture to guess that we treat our closest friends with nothing but care, concern, compassion and love.

I was reading an article given to me by my mom (thanks, mom).  One section of the article spoke about self-talk.  It really made me think about how we talk to ourselves, especially if we are going through a tough time.

I find that I push myself to get over the problem and find the silver lining, before I have even truly taken the time to understand the tough times I am going through.  I berate myself for feeling sorry for myself.  I punish myself for not pulling up my big girl pants and moving on. 

After reading this article, I realized that I would never do this to my close friends, especially when they first experience their tough time. I try to be sympathetic and caring. I listen while they talk through the issue. I try to offer kind words. If possible, I try to find a way to help. I encourage them to find a way through their difficulty, but I don't push or demand they must immediately be "better".

I am going to try and work on this, personally.  If you are like me, I encourage you to treat yourself with the same kindness you would your closest friends.

Next time you are going through a difficult time, ask yourself (out loud if you can - it really does make it more "real" feeling):
  • What is the issue? Explain what is going on.
  • How can I support what you are feeling?
  • How can I help you?
  • What does working through this look like?
We actually are allowed to love ourselves, as much as we love our friends. I think this new way of thinking will help me love to myself better.

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this post. Women need to be kinder to ourselves....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed the post. Yes... we all need to be kinder to ourselves. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...