Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Discussing Death... Desirable or Dangerous?

Is it okay to talk about death?
Is it tempting fate to plan for dying?

It seems that people are hesitant or even afraid to discuss their death.  I know some of my adult friends are afraid to create a will or trust. I know grown children that do not know the wishes of their parents or even their spouses true wishes. I know many families that do not know the financials and important contacts for close family members.

Years ago, I had a friend whose parents died suddenly in a car accident. The situation was tragic.  The couple was in their 60's and still very vibrant and active. Loosing them was hard on my friend, but would become harder as time went by. The couple did not have a will. They did not have their financials spelled out. They were partners in multiple businesses. They owned a home. They had accounts at multiple financial institution. My friend spent over a year trying to settle their estate. Just obtaining the ability to pay their normal bills while they went through the house was an issue.

During my covid-19 scare, I couldn't help but think that possibly I could die if I caught covid. Luckily, I know my affairs are in order.  My family and friends know my wishes.

I highly recommend, if you haven't already done it, start getting your affairs in order. Sadly, you never know what your future holds. 

What should you consider doing?  Here is what I have done. If you know something I missed, please add a comment. 
  • Created a trust, living will and a health care directive
    • Added a provision for my cats
  • Placed my house, cars and financial accounts in the name of the trust
  • Placed my documents in my fire safe
    • Told my family where the documents are located
    • Included a list of account numbers and important contact information
  • Told my family and friends I prefer to be cremated with a fun party thrown in my honor
  • I also complete a yearly check to ensure my documents are up-to-date
I agree this is not a fun subject, but I believe it is a necessary process.  

And... doing all this did not cause my death.   ðŸ˜€


2 comments:

  1. This is a good idea for everyone no matter what your life circumstances. If you can afford it, I would suggest doing the first part of this through an attorney to be sure it is all taken care of properly and legally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...