Tuesday, June 16, 2020

My Covid-19 Scare

If you need a reality check that we are still fighting Covid-19 ... receive a note stating that someone you were near, has been diagnosed positive for having Covid-19.

John and I have been very careful during the Covid-19 pandemic. We have been social distancing and wearing masks. We have been watching our "circle of trust" carefully and generally only seeing small groups on patio parties. We have been doing our best to stay away from all things Covid.

Well, a short time ago, we went to a small outside party. We brought our own chairs and drinks. We sat somewhat near others, but we tried to remember to keep our distance.  Since it was an outside party, we didn't wear masks, but we honestly felt safe with the people we were visiting. The guests had been as careful as we had been and a few of them, we had seen once or twice since the outbreak, so we were fairly sure our circle of trust was solid.

Then, the note came that one person in the group tested positive.  Of course, I spoke to this person often during the party and sat near them for a portion of the get together.  And, of course, I suffer from sinus issues normally, so I suffer from many of the Covid symptoms by default.

Now, bring in the worry and panic. Although I know that I was outside and staying a decent distance from others, I can't help but wonder... do I have Covid?  The night I received the note, I laid awake wondering:
  • Will I be one of those people who believes they are healthy enough to survive it and yet suffers horribly.
  • What if I die?
  • Is the fact I have troubles breathing because of my sinus issues - or Covid?
  • How do I combat a tiny microorganism I can't see?
  • Should I get tested? Or, wait for more symptoms?
  • How will I afford the medical bills if I end up in the hospital for a month?
  • What if John gets it?
  • And... so on and so on.  I am sure you can only imagine what runs through your mind.
I then reminded myself:
  • I am blessed.
  • I have had an amazing life so far.
  • I have a wonderful social circle.
  • I have a great house for social distancing.
  • I have a good job that allows me to social distance.
John and I canceled our few upcoming appointments and are in self-quarantine again. We are on our second week, so we are fairly confident that we did not contract it.  So far, no one else from the party has gotten it and the person that caught it, had a very mild case. 

I consider us all lucky. But, talk about a reality check.  I know with everything going on, Covid almost seems like an after thought and it is easy to think it is "over". Trust me, once you get a note that someone you recently spent time with is positive, you will remember it is out there and can kill you.

Stay healthy everyone.  




1 comment:

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...