Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Share Your Knowledge

I was on a call with some executive assistants I work with.  We were discussing sharing knowledge.  We all agreed that sharing knowledge certainly helped make our jobs better / easier.  Yet, we agreed that most people are very scared to share their knowledge.

Why is this, I thought?

I believe it is for a variety of reasons.  Most of them probably aren't truly valid.  Or, if they are, maybe the presentation of the knowledge could be modified to help making the sharing easier.
  • If I share too much about how I do my job, the company won't need me and can replace me with someone cheaper.
    • I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say they got fired for sharing knowledge.  I have never heard of anyone getting laid off, only to be replaced by someone that was given your body of knowledge and taught to do the job for cheaper.  
      • After all, if you are good at what you do, you are probably faster and more efficient at using the knowledge you have, which allows you to get more things done. Your supervisors know this.
  • I don't want to come off as a know-it-all.
    • This one is tricky.  You have to choose the right forum for sharing knowledge (i.e., if someone asks, if you are part of a best practices group, if you are teaching a class, if the conversation lends itself to your sharing what you know, etc.)
      • Most people are open to learning new things, especially if it helps save them time, money or effort.  Just ensue that your knowledge fits their needs.
  • It took me years to figure this out, why should I just "give" this knowledge away?
    • I certainly understand this one and appreciate the efforts people put into gaining knowledge.  But, this also seems somewhat selfish to me. If sharing information would honestly help another person, then I believe you should share it. It is just the kind thing to do. 
      • And... most people really don't "believe" you the first time you share with them.  They will still have to learn it for themselves over time.  They will have to determine how it fits into their life. You are really just giving them a starting point for accepting the knowledge.
  • What if my knowledge is wrong?
    • This is an easy one.  Just explain that you experienced this or read this, but you are not 100% sure it will help them or work for them.  
      • Again, knowledge shared does not equate to knowledge used.  Each person will need to do their own bit of investigating and testing to utilize the information you shared.
  • What if they don't find it useful.
    • You have lost nothing by sharing. If they don't use what you shared, it must not be the right time for them to need the knowledge.  
      • You have showed them you care enough to share with them.
Overall, I believe sharing knowledge - with people that are open to learning - is a wonderful gift.  I hope people will give it willingly.

2 comments:

  1. Sharing is caring! :) You've shared countless bits of knowledge with me over the years and was always so grateful for your kindness and willingness to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have been blessed that others share with me. I am just passing it along. :)

      Delete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...