Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Lessons learned from my broken wrist

At the end of March, I fell getting out of the hotel shower while on vacation. I broke my wrist. Luckily, it was my left wrist, as I am right-handed. I always sort of figured my left hand was not as "important". I have been amazed at how many things in this life require two hands.  

I have learned so much during the start of this process.
  • Clothing has way too many buttons, zippers, snaps, hooks and laces.  Thank God yoga pants are acceptable these days.
  • Laundry is hard to hang up, fold and put away. And laundry baskets are impossible to carry down the stairs. Though dropping the basket down the stairs is easy (but freaks out the cats).
  • Tucking socks together to put them in the drawer is tough, but unrolling them and putting them on is even tougher.
  • Touch typing is really slow and requires a lot of thought. Apparently as a touch typist, I let my mind/hands just do their job without really thinking of capitalization, spelling, and punctuation. Just typing this blog has taken about ten times the amount of time I would normally spend crafting a post.
  • The car's turn signal should be an Alexa option ("Alexa turn on right blinker").
  • Lunch salads are impossible. Restaurants serve a ton of food that requires a knife and fork combo. Luckily, the appetizer menus have finger foods. My diet is suffering.
  • Short hair is much easier to care for than long hair. But, still tough to color.
  • Clipping and filing my fingernails seems so scary I am avoiding it for now and just letting my nails get longer and longer.
  • Twisting off beverage lids/caps has me either begging for help, or drinking just water.
  • And, last but not least, don't even get me started with going to the bathroom.
Overall, I am finding creative ways to do a lot of things. My husband, friends and family are all super supportive and help when I need it.  Yes, this sucks, but it could have been so much worse.  I feel blessed in ways I never thought of.

I truly have taken my left hand totally for granted.  I will never do that again!

If you enjoyed this blog, please check out:



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Sue! This is a great reminder to all of us to have gratitude for the vessel that carries our spirit each day and to not take it for granted (I know I have)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, thanks for sharing these details. It's quite easy to take our bodies for granted until an obstacle is placed before us... Keep up the great work. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate as always Sue.

    ReplyDelete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...