Thursday, January 3, 2019

Decluttering … The project I have learned to love


I know what you are thinking … I am one sick woman if I love to declutter.   I know … it means opening that junk drawer or looking in the back of the closet in that catch-all box and actually making decisions about what can stay and what should go.  But, I truly have learned to love the feeling of purging and the more open feeling when I look around the house and see “empty” areas.

What positive results, you might ask:
  1. I can find things I truly need much more easily, since there are not a ton of things to look past before I find what I need.
  2. I feel less stressed.  I always thought it was a myth that a less cluttered environment leads to a less stressful mind, but after a decade of working to declutter, I think it is true.
  3. A local charity or your neighborhood garage sale folks, love you.
  4. Your cats find new hiding places and toys they forget they had.

My husband helps … and here is how we make it more fun and not so daunting:
  1. We set one day a weekend and we set aside 1-2 hours.
    • We generally do this each weekend throughout the winter and by spring, the house is a bit less cluttered.
  2. We usually start slow, with a cup of coffee and some news reading or tv watching before we start.
  3. We start in one room … once the coffee kicks in.
  4. We set up boxes for donation or a garage sale, and a box for trash.
  5. We literally touch every item in the room - open ever cabinet, drawer or box - and make decisions about every item.
  6. We try and eliminate at least a quarter of the items in the room. 
    • Some rooms like the bathroom are tougher to do this for, but closets and junk drawers more than make up for the bathroom.
  7. After 1-2 hours, we stop. 
    • We clean up whatever mess is left.
    • The full box(es) go to charity or into the garage for the sale later in the spring.
    • The trash goes to the trash can.
    • The partial boxes just go out of the way.
  8. We then reward ourselves for a job well done.   We go out to lunch, catch an afternoon movie, or take a nap.
  9. The next weekend we start wherever we left off.

Two other things we try and implement throughout the year, though we are not as good at these yet:
  1. Put a donation box in the garage and put items in as we realize we don’t need them anymore.
  2. Live by the “One in / One Out” rule.  If something new comes in, something must go in the donation box in the garage.

We are not 100% faithful about doing this every year in every room, but we have tried to get in the habit more and more as the years have gone by.   It makes a difference in our lives.  As with everything else, I see positive results happening in my life as a result of removing the clutter.



2 comments:

  1. Great suggestions. Can be challenging to implement if the spouse is not on board. But for my home office this strategy sounds like a good way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...