Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Shoe rack or winter wear holder?

We do not have a mud room. We do have a laundry room right off our garage door and we tend to use that as our mud room.  Our car keys hang on the wall, my purse hangs on a hook, and various things we might need if we are heading out for the day are in this small room.  

Originally, when we moved into the house, we kept gloves, hats and scarves in the hall coat closet. We realized that a lot of the time, we threw our coat over the kitchen chair and then ran out of the house without gloves or a scarf, because we didn't think about it in our rush out the door.  

I saw a lot of people putting baskets in their mud rooms to store these items, but I didn't have the room for a setup like that.

Solution:  a shoe rack.  

I found one of those door shoe racks at a garage sale and it was perfect.  I nailed it to the wall and placed my gloves, hats and scarves in the little slots. 

This also makes us realize how many glove sets we own. Now, if we find a cool set of gloves at a garage sale, we can easily look and see which pair we no longer need and put them in the goodwill box (remember my rule from my decluttering blog... one in/one out). 

We can now quickly grab our winter gear when we grab our keys. 

Added bonus: I can keep other small things I need in the extra pockets.

5 comments:

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...