Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Terrific Task List

I admit it ... I love my task list. I think it is truly terrific!  

I know that many of you are groaning at the thought of a task list, much less loving it.  You are thinking that tasks equate to chores. Sometimes they are.  But, in many cases, they are wonderful reminders of fun things. 

Some of my tasks are recurring and some are single items. Some occur yearly, while others may be nothing more than a simple reminder of a note I have taken (remember my blog, "The secret to life... better notes").

I use tasks list to track almost everything:

  • Post weekly blog
  • Change air filter
  • Plan a monthly dinner with friends
  • Check out websites for the monthly fairs and festivals
  • Send Christmas cards
  • Book a massage
  • Plan a family outing
  • Water plants

The list goes on and on. 

I currently keep my tasks in either my email program or on my calendar (depending on what sort of task it is and if it is personal or professional).  I check my task lists daily to ensure nothing is falling through the cracks. I complete the task or I move it if it something I should actually do tomorrow or later in the week. I delete it if I know I no longer need it. Remember, just because you create the task, doesn't mean you ever have to do it (see my blog post "I am never going to do that"). 

I sleep better - having a task list I trust.  I don't wake at 2 am thinking about something I need to remember to do. My mind is wonderful at waking me at 2 am, but it is horrible at actually remembering to remind me of the task when I am awake and at a place I can do the task. For me, that is enough of a reward to get in the habit of keeping up my task lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Packing for a trip

I was enjoying dinner with a friend the other day.  We were discussing traveling.  I love traveling and we occasionally share stories about ...